Saturday, June 2, 2012

Hiatus

Despite the fact that my blog has been on hiatus for some time now, I have re-vamped the page layout and am finally getting it to look as I've always wanted it to look: feminine, polished and simple.

Because of the new header, I've decided I'd like to share some of my favorite Gil Elvgren pieces with you. Despite the exposed lingerie and stocking tops, I feel that Elvgren was truly able to capture the evolving fun, flirty essence of womankind from the late 1930s to the early '70s. Not only do these paintings exude classic images of feminine vivacity, but also convey an ever-growing sense of female empowerment during these times.









I've always had an affinity for pin-up fashions, so when I'm trying to convey a pin-up aura in my everyday outfits, I'll often pair printed or bold-colored high waisted shorts (Zara is my personal favorite place to purchase these, although UO often also has good options) with complimentary-colored tank tops or bustier/corseted tops (which can be found in stores such as Macy's in the Material Girl section, Urban Outfitters, and American Apparel). I also recently purchased a bright coral-colored scalloped romper from Urban Outfitters that, when paired with a bold pair of heels (I paired with Missioni print inspired pumps), oozes pin-up. If you're looking for a pin-up inspired dress, try a dress with a - preferably sweetheart - corseted top, cinched at the waist, with a mid-thigh length flowy skirt.

Although I also own and once loved to sport around the lingerie-esque tights, my style has become a bit more conservative as of late (it seems the older I get, the more I enjoy dressing like an American Girl doll), but if you truly want a pin-up look, throw a pair of those on with any of your pretty pin-up outfits an you're good to go!

Come to think of it, this also makes for a pretty adorable halloween costume. Hmmm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...